Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Top Ten Fridays: Favorite Romantic Movies


Okay, so I have been very BAD at doing these lately. I will remedy that right now. I have about 10 minutes before it is time to wake the living dead and get him ready for Preschool. Emma was up and jumping around at 4 this morning, so she will be a treat today. Luckily I am hanging out with my Mom (has the day off) and my Sister (this is her 'Sunday' - Weird WestJet schedule!)

I have seen lots of romantic movies, but I try not to watch too many with my husband. Why? Because all I get is moaning and groaning. He is getting better, though - More understanding with age. I am also getting tired of romance movies because the new ones all seem to revolve around sex which is boring. But here are a list of some of my favorites. (old and new)

Top Ten Favorite Romantic Movies: (in random order)

10) The Princess Bride - "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"; "As you wish"; "Mawige, Mawige is what bwings us togetha, today...." - If you have never seen this movie, you NEED to watch it. It is hilarious!! (P.S. I believe that Jonathan looks exactly like Carey Elwes!!)

9) Sleepless in Seattle - Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks. It is a classic.

8) You've Got Mail - Same cast as above, more books!

7) Shakespeare in Love - I was an English major! This film makes me remember how much I enjoy Shakespeare. Warning: there are some indecent sex scenes. You can fast forward that part!

6) The Notebook - I was watching this last month on TV. I only saw the last half an hour and I still bawled like a baby at the end. This movie, as well, has a few sex scenes, but I really love the story. So romantic!!

5) When Harry Met Sally - Funny. Who would have thought that Billy Crystal could be the lead in a romantic movie?

4) An Affair to Remember - This is related to Sleepless in Seattle. I love this movie as well. Always makes me cry. Carey Grant and Debra Kerr.

3) Moulin Rouge - Okay, so now we are talking about a burlesque show! But it has singing, it has comedy, it has an evil character that you hate. It has moral issues. Plus it is so sad.... It is worth a watch!

2) The Sound of Music - I know that this is more that a story about love, but the chemistry between Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer still makes me avert my eyes sometimes. (I'm 30 years old!!) Anyway, I love it! Since I was a little girl and we used to put it on all the time. My father used to get mad at us for watching it - Over and Over and Over!!

1) Pride and Prejudice - (A&E Version) I know I have talked about this already, but there is no Mr. Darcy like Colin Firth! Sorry! No one can do it!
-----------------

There's my list! What are some of yours?

2 comments:

SandraG said...

The most romantic movie ever, in my opinion, is "Laura" -an oldie but goodie and no inappropriate sex scenes.

Gal Friday said...

My heart skipped a beat when I first saw Mr. Darcy up there--I SO agree with you on Firth in that film!! Like you I usually have to enjoy this one alone, without a protesting DH.
I haven't seen every movie on your list, but might I recommend a sweetly romantic movie that I saw when I was in high school and I never forgot it. I recently watched it again with my daughter and husband--it was Diane Lane's first film and it is set in Paris and Italy--"A Little Romance"(1979).
I always think the romance between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in "North By Northwest" is smoldering.

This blog is copyright protected. Please do not use any of this without my permission. Thanks! Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker